Sunday, March 14, 2010

24 Weeks - A Huge Milestone

Yesterday kicked off 24 weeks, a huge milestone for me and the baby. That morning I got my first steroid shot for the baby's lungs and it was the happiest that I've ever been about getting a shot in my life. That day my Mom and Matt brought me balloons to decorate my room for the celebration. Today, I received my second and last steroid shot and this caused me to have a little allergic reaction which they gave me a benedryl shot and I'm getting better. The nurses are now monitoring me twice a day on the contraction monitor together with the heart monitor for the baby. This takes about 20 minutes and so far so good. No contractions and baby's heartbeat is still exceptional! I will say our sweet child is a little finicky about these monitors. It likes to hide and the nurses have to trap it...ha! It also kicks and punches me the whole time. It makes me laugh!

This past week, Matt and I had our second consult with a Neonatologist and it went very well. She was very positive about the baby's progress up to this point and told us that if I could get to 24 weeks then everything will be a lot better for the baby from this point on. The baby is definitely at an advantage because of the steroid shots so that made us feel so much better about everything. It made us feel a little more calm to know that if for some reason that I didn't make it to 34 weeks that depending on the baby they have seen so much success with even 23 weekers. She indicated it would be even better if I could make it to 25 or 26 weeks because those are big babies to them. We are definitely wanting to go the full 34 weeks but made us have a little more peace in the meantime. Matt and I were able to ask all of the questions that we had up to this point and get answers. She actually said that she was impressed because all of our questions were right on point and that we were one of the most mentally stable couples that she has talked to. She said that we were very realistic but very compassionate about our situation. I said well good because I thought I was a complete basket case :)! We will also be able to go and get a tour of the NICU whenever we want so it won't be so overwhelming later.

I also had another sonogram this past Friday and it went very well! My amniotic fluid was up from 3.3 to 4.5 and we were ecstatic! The doctor said that I should be over the critical stage at this point even though the fluid is still low. The baby weighed 1 lb and 2 oz from the 15 oz that it was 2 weeks ago. It is growing just like it should and we couldn't be happier! We tried to find out the sex but the baby's legs were tucked and has the umbilical cord between it's legs BUT they had some good indications and are leaning towards a GIRL! They can't be 100% sure but if the umbilical cord wasn't there they probably could've told us for sure. I hope we can know for sure really soon because honestly the suspense is killing me! Mom and I started looking at baby bedding anyways for both a girl and boy and we found some great options for both! So exciting!

We had another great week and looking forward to many more weeks to come. Thank you for everyone's continued prayers and support. Keep them coming our way!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I'm so happy to hear things are continuing to go well. I want to do a cheer for you or something! I'd jump up and down but I might wake the kids up downstairs. :-)

    I just want to give you a big hug and tell you how awesome you are. Rub your belly for me. Stay strong, tough and positive. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachelle and Matt,

    You have hit a huge milestone...Amy and I are happy to see that everything is going so well. We have been in your shoes and know how overwhelming this can be...have faith and just take one day at a time. Amy was having contractions every day from 25 weeks on and she made it to 30 weeks, so I think you guys will be just fine. The NICU is an overwhelming experience so make sure you do it together. If you guys need anything please don't hesistate.

    Jim and Amy

    ReplyDelete